Monday, November 23, 2009

What technology does a new Dad need?

My experience is different than most because my wife and daughter were both in the hospital for almost a week, and they both needed a lot of help. So we spent a lot of time cooped up in a small space. I don't know what I would have done without my IPhone. Being able to both text and email made it possible to stay in touch with friends and family all over the country. And posting pictures to facebook was even easier, and the only way to get pictures to everyone quickly. And of course, it was entertainment for the short periods between feedings and doctors when I was too wound up to sleep.

Once I was home, I found I had blocks of time where the baby needed constant little bits of attention. Not enough to fully occupy me, but enough to keep me from doing much else. Netflix kept me sane by letting me watch blocks of TV when I was too sleep deprived to do anything else. I finally caught up on the first season of Heroes in between feedings and rocking the baby.

The high-tech running stroller means I still get out to run. Running uphill against the wind is certainly a good workout. And my daughter is so happy to be out and looking around that she's either content or asleep the whole time. Which is great when she's having a fussy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment